Monday 29 April 2013

Sydney, NSW

After going to Bondi Beach with Hitomi, we met up with my first ever Travel Buddy (http://www.travbuddy.com/) Kati who is originally from Poland, but grew up in Germany and speaks with an American Accent because she lived in the US for a while, but now works here in Sydney. I'm glad to know that I am not the only one with a complicated "where are you from?" story!

She was house sitting for a family who had gone on holiday, so we cooked dinner in the super snazzy kitchen and wondered what it would be like to live in such a beautiful place. After dinner, Hitomi went back to the hostel and Kati and I "went out on the town." After walking around aimlessly for a while, we settled for a bar called "?" and I had the wonderful realisation that Australia also does Cider (something I have missed a lot on my European travels).

After a couple of drinks, getting to know each other better and some strange-dance-moves with some guys from Manchester, we headed back home.

The next day, since we got on so well, Kati decided she'd show me the touristic areas of Sydney... so the Harbour Bridge and the Sydney Opera House. We both realised at this point that we didn't know what else was famous here...

The Sydney Opera House

The Harbour View

The Harbour Bridge

We took some photos, marvelled at the architecture and ate our lunch in front of the great view. Then we decided tourist photos were boring and so we combined the two activities and came up with this:

Kati and her German sandwich

Hmm what's in this?

Let's open it up...

Oh no another map!

Waheyyyyy! A sandwich!

Mmmm sandwich!

Home-made vs shop-bought...
English style vs German style...
To end the day, we walked back through the Botanic Gardens to my hostel and made plans to go to the Blue Mountains together at the weekend.

These birds may look like ones we have back in England but they sure do sound different!

Hobbit Tree

These are EVERYWHERE!


Since it's Autumn here, these were some of the only flowers in the park


The biggest Cactus that I've ever seen!

For the best view of Sydney, go to the top of this.
Just make sure you're rich first!
That night I also went to Sydney Hospital, since a guy at the Hostel said that if you make it sound like an emergency, they see you for free no matter your nationality or insurance policy. So off I went, but as I was walking there, my ears were getting worse and worse so by the time I was there, it actually felt like an emergency.

A nice lady (not sure from where but not Australian) told me I had an ear infection and prescribed me 5 days of Antibiotics. I left feeling like I was about to be chased down the street because I didn't pay anything... Luckily I got all the way back to the Hostel without such an incident.


The next day, I walked to the nearest Pharmacist where I paid $14.30 for 6 days worth of Antibiotics, and the Pharmacist told me to take them all even though I was only prescribed 5 days. Now let's hope Australia can do what Italy, Germany and the Netherlands couldn't do and make me finally 100% healthy again!


A great sign I came across, Wooloomooloo is the area of Sydney that my Hostel is in.

Another bird that I saw
So far, I really like Australia,
Lucy xxo

No comments:

Post a Comment